Thursday, March 18, 2010

Will I be teaching or learning?

This morning I have been going through Topic 3 and the start of Topic 4 for Supportive Learning Environments and had my own assumptions, stereotypes and prejudices challenged. I have never thought of myself as having any prejudices but when considering what characteristics I associate with Indigenous Australians I was shocked and horrified to find that the first things that came to mind were negative. Where has that come from? Firstly, I believe that it’s been mainly due to a distinct lack of education about indigenous people and culture in Australia. At least I didn’t learn much about Indigenous people, culture or their history when I was at school. Secondly, the media and how the rest of society has acted/talked about indigenous people. And finally, experience. Perhaps not living in Australia for 10 years hasn’t helped, but I’ve had virtually no experience with indigenous people. Ashman and Elkins (2009, p.21) suggest that “Experience is the essential prerequisite for success because it is the primary source of the individual’s storehouse of knowledge.”

So then I went on reading and thinking. Understanding how stereotypes and then prejudice develops. Thinking about all sorts of groups – boys versus girls, different religious beliefs, children from broken families, children that live in poverty. As teachers I think we need to take a good, hard look at our own values and beliefs before we inflict them onto children. I would like to be thought of as someone with an open mind and slow to judge and hopefully any students I have will see me in that way. To achieve that, I think I have a lot of learning of my own to do and will probably do a lot of that in the classroom!

While not wishing to force any personal religious belief on anyone, I can’t help now thinking about this scripture, “The second is this: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31). Wouldn't it be great if we just all naturally did that?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina, I am not doing that subject until next year but I appreciated your comments. I feel really fortunate I have had the opportunity to live in the N.T. and get to know a lot about Aboriginal people and their culture. Not everyone gets that opportunity, but I am so glad I have. You are right in saying that the media and a lot of people (mostly who know nothing about Aboriginal people/culture etc) will have many negative comments to make, but it's up to those who know better to help educate them and make them aware of all the positive things ( and there are many) about Aboriginal people and their culture. It's also important to consider that although there are some issues that cause these negative comments, we need to understand at why these things happen and what the basis of the problem is. I agree with the scripture you mentioned and whether we are religious or not, it's certainly the right way to think and act.
    Regards,
    Carolyne

    ReplyDelete