Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sailing the high seas and teaching

Back in 2005 I was a sailing instructor for the Hamble School of Yachting in the UK. The sailing industry is very male dominated and sorry for this generalisation, but many wives are treated appallingly by their husbands when out on the water. Which in turn usually makes them hate sailing and lose all interest. So Hamble School of Yachting decided to run some Ladies Only sailing courses and I was privileged to take 5 ladies for a week's course. Some of them were doing the entry level "Competent Crew" course and a couple of them doing the next level up which was "Day Skipper".

Over the week all the women on board definitely came out of their shells and had a great time. For me it was one of the best weeks working as a sailing instructor. Here are some shots from the course.

Sailing past the Needles on the Isle of Wight - heading for Poole.


Me with the crew, I'm the one near the helm without the matching t-shirt.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tina,

    I just know that you are trying to make me jealous with your sailing story--yes it has worked, although not as well as a last year's student who told me that she had to go now and take her class on Hamilton Island for a sailing lesson.

    Here's a picture taken of me in 1980 around 500 NMiles away from land in the Tasman Sea--about a day before a tropical storm of 100+ knots and 50 -60 foot breaking waves: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3528/3300946501_a29e2c5e1c.jpg
    Best,

    Scot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scot,

    Awesome! Best place to be on a boat, I think. It amazes me how the weather can change so rapidly out at sea - from the calm of your picture to 60 foot waves! I bet you have some stories to tell.

    And Hamilton Island - that has me jealous as well. Teaching sailing in the cold, grey old English Channel or out from Hamilton Island... hmmm....

    Tina

    ReplyDelete