Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Please tweet with me...

The following video is about a professor history in Dallas, Texas, using Twitter to encourage the students in her classroom to participate in discussion.



I found it really interesting how well the concept has taken off in her classroom and the fact that it has engaged students who would not normally participate in classroom discussion for whatever reason. Students also do not need a computer, they can use their mobile phones to post comments. If students had neither of these they could still write notes and a TA (technical assistant) would type up their comments for them onto the twitter site. With one of our main objectives as a teacher being to continally strive for inclusion and student engagement I believe that Twitter is a tool that we should not ignore.

After a bit more research I found a site in the UK, Teaching News, where I discovered that teachers were using Twitter as a mechanism for sharing resources, tips and information on teaching.

So as we embark on our first term of prac teaching I thought it might be an idea to start our own community of tweeting teachers. By using it ourselves we can start to see how we might be able to use it in the classroom (if at all), but also it might be a less formal setting to communicate with peers and help each other out. I've added a Follow Me button for Twitter to the right or you can click here to go to my Twitter page.

No comments:

Post a Comment