Monday, July 12, 2010

Half way - bring on term two!

It's taken me a week and a half after Res school to find the will to get started again. Memories of the last few weeks of Term one were bouncing around in my mind and had me wondering if I really had the energy to get started all over again with a new set of subjects and a new placement. And more assignments! Oh the assignments...

The trouble with procrastinating is that you not only have the stress of thinking about all the work you have to do, you also have the stress of knowing you're not getting it done and with each passing day you have less time in which to get it done!

So I'm back. I'm at my desk. I'm working through the course work. I'm planning. I'm following forums. And I've contacted my new school.

I owe a big thank you to Carolyne for this posting on another video of Sir Ken Robinson. It helped me to remember why I'm doing this in the first place. So much so that I've ordered his book, The Element, that Carolyne mentions in another one of her posts.

Today I've been reading about the importance of reflecting. In my last prac, reflecting was something I did when I got home from school because I had to. In my next placement I will use it as a tool to improve and I will do a better job of it. I think what is important to remember is that you should also reflect on what went well in a lesson - not just on your weaknesses or what didn't work. If you think about what worked well you can start to use those techniques more often and make your strengths even stronger. Plus it helps keep your mood positive which is going to be key in making it through to November 12th.

I wish all my fellow GDLT colleagues all the very best for this last half of the course.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina, I am glad you loved that Ken Robinson talk and I think you will love the book. It's got some excellent examples to share with students, especially the ones who may feel they don't fit the mould. I completely understand how you are feeling about Term 2, and I am only part time. It is such a big workload and I find that even if I do a little bit every day at least I have done something! Good luck with the rest of the course and you will be finished in the not too far off future! Carolyne

    ReplyDelete